Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Upholstered Coffee Table

Here is another one of my projects I worked on this weekend.  This one was pretty easy and cheap, even though it didn't turn out quite as perfect as I would have liked.  I love the idea of having a coffee table that you can comfortably rest your feet on, but I didn't want to spend a fortune, and I wanted something colorful, so here is what I came up with!

I started with the Lack coffee table from Ikea.  One of the few things from there that I can actually put together myself!  This is just the table top.  I laid it out on a blanket on the floor in our living room.

Then I covered the top with a layer of foam that I bought from the craft store.   I got the 1" thick foam.  It isn't totally obvious that the table is padded, it just feels nice and soft.

I had a lot of trouble with the glue I bought.  Despite the claim that it worked on foam, wood and all surfaces...not so much.  I actually ended up using masking tape to adhere the foam to the table and it worked just fine.  Once the foam was secured, I wrapped the whole thing in fabric.  Again, the glue was not working so guess what?  I taped the fabric too!  It's on the bottom of the table so it's not visible and so far it is holding just fine.  Here is what the finished product looks like!



Again, it is by no means perfect, but it is a great place to kick up your feet, and it adds a nice pop of color to an otherwise boring table.

No comments:

Post a Comment