Thursday, December 29, 2011

Yarn Wrapped Letters in a Frame

Okay, I was a very bad blogger when it came to this craft.  I only have two pictures, but I will try to explain the steps as best I can.  First, here is a look at the finished product...

I bought the "K" from Michael's, along with the yarn.  I am not a knitter by any means, so I just picked yarn that looked thin and was the right color.  I wish I had taken a picture of the back of the K because it is not pretty.  I used A LOT of masking tape trying to get this thing covered.  Before I attempted this project, I thought I would be able to wrap the letter with one long continuous strand and it would be pretty as a peach.  Not so much.  Maybe with a letter with less bends than a K that would be possible, but I had to wrap small sections at a time in order to get the coverage I wanted. 

The key to this project is to leave delusions of perfection at the door.  You will not be able to wrap the yarn all in one direction.  You will not be able to cover all areas of the letter without some overlapping.  It is not going to look smooth and perfect, but I think once you get the letter covered, you will like the finished product.  Rather than leaving the letter on its own, I decided to put it in a frame.

I took a plain white frame and wrapped the glass part (which on this frame was actually plastic) in the remnants of a brown paper bag.  I used hot glue to attach the letter to the brown paper, which not only made the project look complete, it hid the yucky backside of the letter.  Here it is again all put together.

Not exactly a quick and easy project, but I like the way it came out!

No comments:

Post a Comment